Tuesday, May 14, 2013

5 Qs for Miles


Miles Burnham is a high school junior.  He played his first year in the audition-only Jazz Band A at his high school, which is quite competitive.  He recently joined The Anchormen, which is a ska/punk band he formed with a couple of his friends. He is not sure yet if he will pursue a career in music: "I don't actually know what I want to study after High School yet."  Take your time, Miles.


MILES STATS


Primary Instrument: Trumpet
Secondary Instrument: none

MUSIC I PLAY:  Classical, Jazz, Pop, Ska
MUSIC I LISTSEN TO: Classical, Jazz, Pop, Ska

Private Lessons: No
Year I will Graduate HS: 2014


1. How do you approach improvisation? Answer: The best way that I try to approach improvisation is, if your music allows for a couple seconds, to just close my eyes and start to really feel the vibes and the rhythm of the song. This sets me up for a laidback and hip solo in most cases.

2. What makes you play the way you play? (Influences? Where do you find inspiration? Group vs. solo?) Answer: My main influences when I listen to Trumpet players (I play Trumpet) are Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Roy Hargrove, and lately I have been jamming to Wynton Marsalis and even Louis Armstrong. Armstrong and Marsalis play the old 1920's jazz and i really like the way they solo because they are in my opinion the best at playing with the key changes and sounding fantastic. I would definitely prefer they played with a great band, as every great house needs a great foundation.

3. When you're frustrated & want to quit, what makes you come back to your instrument? Answer: The one thing that makes me come back to my intrument whenever i feel frustrated is listening to classical music. The intensity and beauty of these peices always make me go "Hey, look how good this peice is. I'm pretty sure you can try a little harder at just playing your instrument if these geniuses can make such magnificent peices of music".

4. How does pressure ('good' or 'bad') affect your performance? Answer: Whenever I am pressured I play worst. That is a true fact. I am always sucked down by pressure, whether it is playing in front an audience, Mr. Aubel (Band Teacher), or even just to audition to get into the band! It definitely negatively affects my playing.

5. Parent support directly affects musical achievement. How does parent support look in your family? How does it affect your ability to succeed? Answer: My mom always pushes me to practice my trumpet more because she claims i have talent and that i waste it by not playing. My mom always being in the croud at a gig definitely helps me out and reminds me how much she cares. It absolutely affects my ability to keep going with my instrument.


No comments:

Post a Comment