Tuesday, April 23, 2013

5 Qs for Eddie

5 Qs for Eddie

Edward Evans is one of the musicians that directly inspired this project.  Thoughtful and personable, he is a parent favorite...and he plays the trumpet like a pro.  He has impressed many with his considerable skills playing and improvising, auditioning into several Bay Area jazz bands including SFJAZZ and The Jazzschool.  He also plays in his high school jazz band.  Edward currently plans to pursue music in college.


EDWARD STATS


Primary Instrument: Trumpet
Secondary Instrument: Flugelhorn

MUSIC I PLAY: Jazz
MUSIC I LISTEN TO: Classical, Jazz, Pop


Private Lessons: Yes
Year I will graduate HS: 2014





1. How do you approach improvisation?
My approach to improvisation is basically just lots of transcribing. Everything that I know how to play stems from lines and phrases that I've stolen from various great trumpet players eg. Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw etc...  And modern players such as Ambrose Akinmusire or Billy Buss.  Now that I have built up my vocabulary, many lines from all the players that I have learned from sort of mesh together and form new lines, although I can say assuredly that I've yet to find my own voice.

Another extremely important aspect to improv is the technical part.  I study jazz with Dann Zinn, probably the most rigorous sax teacher in the Bay Area.  For him, if you don't have the technique, then you got nothin'.  His routine is extremely challenging, especially for me as a trumpet player, but it is all so important so that you can execute perfectly, all the things that you hear.  It can make your playing mechanical at first, but it is just a work of art to see someone who has mastered their instrument both technically and musically.

In another sense, improv is a whole collaborative experience.  For me, it is always such a joy to be able to play with other great musicians because there is so much to learn from them every time you play.  Everything that someone plays is unique to them and what they play can make you react in a way that you would've never thought of by yourself.  The interaction and improv between great musicians is what makes jazz so unique. 

2. What makes you play the way you play? (Influences? Where do you find inspiration? Group vs solo?)

The biggest influence I've had playing trumpet is Clifford Brown.  When I was first getting into jazz, my teacher would give me CD's of great trumpet players but once I found Clifford I fell in love.  He is my all time favorite trumpet player and it pains me to think of all that he could have accomplished had he not died at such a young age.  I remember his solo on "Jordu," was the very first thing I ever transcribed.  Some of my other big influences are people like Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw, Tom Harrell, and Ambrose Akinmusire.  These days, I get a lot of inspiration from sax and piano players like Chris Potter and Taylor Eigsti, their technique is usually unmatched by most trumpet players and it is certainly something to strive for in my playing.  I also get a lot of inspiration from Dann Zinn, who always knows what to say to make you want to practice more. 


3. When you're frustrated & want to quit, what makes you come back to your instrument?

While trumpet has been a great experience and I know I will certainly want to continue for the rest of my life, there have certainly been, and are, frustrating moments that make me want to never touch the instrument again.  During these times I listen to recordings of great musicians, and it just gives me the most wonderful feeling in the world and it reminds me that that is the way I want other people to feel when they hear me.  That makes me come back to the trumpet and makes me strive to keep improving.  


4. How does pressure ('good' or 'bad') affect your performance?

Pressure has been a problem of mine in the past.  I used to prefer the practice room to the performance hall any day.  I would get very nervous and be liable to mess up just because I was so afraid of messing up!  Now that I have performed much more with many groups pressure doesn't affect me as much and I now love playing for live audiences.


5. Parent support directly affects musical achievement.  How does parent support look in your family?  How does it affect your ability to succeed? 


My parents are super supportive of my music and it is amazing.  There are many people who have parents who think music is not a good path for their children, but my parents are totally open to what I want to do.  At the moment I take two lessons a week and it is very expensive.  Even still, my parents are willing to pay for them and sacrifice other things such as going out to dinner or going on vacations.  If it weren't for their support I probably would have already given up on the trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment